Mesch, Gustavo and Ilan Talmud (2010. Wired Youth: Social Relationships in the
Information Age. Psychology Press and
C. Edited Journal Special Issues
Mesch, Gustavo and Ilan Talmud (guest editor of special issue). (2007). Special issue on e-Relationships - the blurring and reconfiguration of offline and online social boundaries. Information, Communication and Society, Volume 10, Issue 5 October
. Mesch,Gustavo and Shanyang Zhao
(2010). Special Issue of Selected Papers from the Communication and Technology
Section Sessions of the American Sociological Association Annual meeting (
Mesch, Gustavo and Nalini Kotjamandu. 2011. Special issue of selected papers from the Communication and Technology Section Sessions of the American Sociological Association Annual meeting (Atlanta, US). Vol 14, Issue 4 (approximately 90 pages).
Publications in Peer-Reviewed Journals
58. Titzmann, P.F., Silbereisen, R. K. & Mesch, G.S. (Forthcoming). Minor Delinquency and Immigration: A Longitudinal Study Among Male Adolescents. Developmental Psychology.
57. Mesch, Gustavo, Schwirian, Kent and Kolobov, Tanya.(Forthcoming). Attention to the Media and Worry over Becoming Infected: The Case of the Swine Flu Epidemic of 2009. Sociology of Health and llness.
56. Mesch, Gustavo. (2012). Youth and Technology. New Directions in Youth Development, 135: 97-105.
55. Sela, S., Kuflik, T. & Mesch, Gustavo S. (2012). Changes in the discourse of online hate blogs: The effect of Barack Obama's election in 2008. First Monday, November 2012 issue. Available at http://www.worlib.org/fm/
54. Mesch, Gustavo; Rita Mano and Yeudit Zimer. (2012). Minority Status and Health Information Search: A test of the diversification Hypothesis.. Social Science and Medicine. 75(5): 854-8.
53. Mesch, Gustavo. (2012). Is Online Trust and Trust in Social Institutions Associated with Online Disclosure of Identifiable Information Online? Computers in Human Behavior. 28 (4): 1471-1477.
52. Mesch, Gustavo, Anabel Quase-Han and Ilan Talmud (2012). IM Social Networks:Individual, Relational and Cultural Characteristics. Journal of Personal and Social Relationships, 29, 6: pp. 736-759.
51. Mesch, Gustavo S. (2012) Minority status and the use of computer mediated communication: a test of the Social Diversification Hypothesis. Communication Research, 39(3): 317-337.
50. Peter F. Titzmann, Rainer
K. Silbereisen, Gustavo Mesch, Eva Schmitt-Rodermund.(Forhtcoming). Migration-specific
hassles among adolescent immigrants from the former Soviet Union in
49. Titzman, Peter; Silberheisen, Rainer K. & Gustavo Mesch. (2012) "Change in Friendship Homophily: A German Israeli Comparison of Adolescent Immigrants". Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology. 43(3) 410–428.
48. Mesch, G.S. & Talmud, I. (2011). Ethnic Differences in Internet Access: The Role of Occupation and Exposure. Information, Communication and Society. 14:445-472.
47. Mesch, Gustavo and Guy Beker (2010). "Are Norms of Disclosure about Online and Personal Information associated with the Disclosure of Personal Information Online?".
Human Communication Research, 36: 603-625.
46. Mesch Gustavo and Ilan Talmud (2010). A Longitudinal Study of Connectivity and participation hypothesis. American Behavioral Scientist. 1095-1111.
45. Mano, Rita and Gustavo Mesch (2009) A Blessing or a curse: The use of electronic mail in organizations. Computers in Human Behavior.
44. Mesch Gustavo.(2009) Parental Mediation, Online Activities and Cyberbullying. Cyberpsychology and Behavior.12(4): 387-393.
43. Mesch, Gustavo. (2009). Social Bonds and Internet Pornographic Exposure among Adolescents. Journal of Adolescence. 32( 3): 601-618.
42. Mesch, Gustavo S. (2009). Social Context and Adolescents' Choice of communication Channels. Computers in Human Behavior. 25 (1): 244-251.
41. Schroeder Ralph, Alexandre Caldas, William Dutton and Gustavo Mesch. (2008). Patterns of Information Search and Access on the World Wide Web: Democratizing Expertise or Creating New Hierarchies? Journal of computer mediated communication. 13 (4), 769-793.
40. Turjeman, Hagit; Fishman Gideon; Mesch Gustavo. (2008) "The effect of acculturation on depressive moods: Immigrant boys and girls during their transition from late adolescence to early adulthood". International Journal of Psychology. 43(1): 32-44.
39. Mesch, Gustavo; Hagit Turjeman and Gideon Fishman (2008). Social Identity and violence among immigrant adolescents. New Directions for Youth Development. 119: 129-151.
38. Hagit Turjeman, Gustavo Mesch, and Gideon Fishman.(2008). Social Identity, Identity Formation, and Delinquency. International Journal of Comparative Sociology 49: 111-126.
37.Mesch, Gustavo S., Hagit Turgeman and Gideon Fishman. (2008). Perceived Discrimination and the Well-being of Immigrant Adolescents" Journal of Youth and Adolecence. 37(5): pp. 592-604.
36. Canetti-Nissim, Daphna, Gustavo Mesch and Amy Pedazhour. 2006. Victimization from Terrorist Attacks: Randomness or routine Activities? Journal of Terrorism and Political Violence, 18, 4.
35. Mesch Gustavo S. and
Ilan Talmud. 2007 Similarity and The Quality of
Online and Offline Social Relationships among Adolescents in
34.Mesch, Gustavo S. 2006. Family Characteristics and Intergenerational Conflicts over the Internet. Information, Communication and Society.9(4), 500-522.
33. Mesch Gustavo and Rita Mano.2006. Housing Attainment of Immigrants from the FSU
32. Mesch, Gustavo and Ilan Talmud. 2006. The Quality of Online and Offline Relationships, the role of multiplexity and duration. The Information Society, 22(3), 137-149.
31. Mesch Gustavo and Ilan Talmud. 2006. Online Friendship Formation, Communication Channels, and Social Closeness. International Journal of Internet Sciences. 1, 1, 29-44. available at http://www.ijis.net/
30. Mesch Gustavo S.2006 The Family and the Internet: Exploring a social Boundaries Approach. Journal of Family Communication, 6(2), 119-138.
29. Mesch, Gustavo, S. and Gideon Fishman. 2006. Domestic
Violence and non Domestic Violence Against Women, How Different and How
Similar. A Study in
Gideon and Gustavo S. Mesch. 2005. Acculturation, and
Delinquency among Adolescent Immigrants from the Former Soviet Union in
27. Zeitlin-Ophir, Iris(+); Melitz, Osnat; Miller, Rina; Podoshin, P.and Gustavo Mesch.(2004). Variables Affecting the Academic and Social Integration of Nursing Students. Journal of Nursing Education 43: 7 .
26. Mesch, Gustavo S. and Yael Levanon (+). (2003). Community Networking and Locally based Social Ties in Two Suburban Localities. City and Community . 2:335-351.
25. Mesch, Gustavo, S. (2003). The Family and the Internet: The Israeli Case. Social Science Quarterly. 84: 1038-1050.
24. Mesch, Gustavo S.; Gideon Fishman and Zvi Eisikovits.
(2003). Attitudes supporting Violence and
Aggressive Behavior among Adolescents in
23. Mesch, Gustavo S. (2003) Language Proficiency among New Immigrants: The role of Human Capital and Societal Conditions. The Case of Immigrants from the FSU in Israel. Sociological Perspectives, 46(1): 41-58.
22. Gideon, Lior & Gustavo Mesch. (2003 )Reporting Property Victimization to the Police in Israel”. Police Practice and Research: An International Journal. 4:105-117 .
21. Mesch, Gustavo S. (2002). Residential Concentration and Participation in Local Politics:The case of Immigrants of the FSU in Israel. Journal of International Migration and Integration. 3: 157-177.
20. Mesch, Gustavo, S. (2002). Between Spatial and Social Segregation among Immigrants: The Case of Immigrants from the FSU in Israel. International Migration Review, 36(3):912-934.
19. Mesch, Gustavo S.(2001).Social Relationships and Internet Use among Adolescents in Israel. Social Science Quarterly, 82(2):329-340.
Gustavo S. and Orit Manor(+).(2001) Ethnic Differences in Urban Neighbor
17. Fishman, Gideon; Gustavo Mesch and Zvi Eizikovits,(2001). "Variables Affecting Adolescent Victimization: Findings from a National Youth Survey." Western Criminological Review. 3 (2). [Online]. Available: http://wcr.sonoma.edu/v3n2/fishman.html.
Fishman, Gideon, Michal Grinstein-Weiss(+) and Gustavo S. Mesch.
(2000). Political Identification of Youth- Delineating Differences Between Left
and Right in
15. Mesch, Gustavo S. (2000). Women’s Fear of Crime: The Role of Fear for the Well Being of Others. Violence and Victims,15(3):323-337.
14. Mesch, Gustavo S. (2000). Perceptions of Risk, Lifestyle Activities and Fear of Crime. Deviant Behavior 21(1):47-63.
13. Mesch, Gustavo S. and Gideon Fishman. (1999). Entering the System, Arab and Israelis Differences in Record Closure. Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency 36(2):175-193.
12. Mesch, Gustavo S. (1998). Community Empowerment and Collective Action. Research in Community Sociology. Vol 8:43-63.
Gustavo S. and Ilan Talmud. (1998). The Influence of
Community Characteristics on Police Performance in a Deeply Divided Society:
The case of
10. Mesch, Gustavo S. and Orit Manor (+). (1998). Local Social Ties, Residential Satisfaction and Community Attachment. Environment and Behavior. 30(4):504-519.
Gustavo S. and Gideon Fishman. (1998). Fear of crime and Individual
Protective Actions in
8. Mesch, Gustavo S. and Daniel Czymansky.
(1997). Ocupational Closure and Immigrant
Entrepreneurship: Russian Jews in
8a.Reprinted in Samuel Y. and Harpaz, Y. 2003. Studies in Organizations and Work. Transaction Books.
7.Talmud Ilan and Gustavo S. Mesch. (1997). Market Embeddness and Corporate Instability. Social Science Research. 26:419-441. (equal contribution)
7.a Reprinted in Samuel Y. and Harpaz, Y. 2003. Studies in Organizations and Work.
Gustavo S. (1997). Victims and Property Victimization in
5. Mesch, Gustavo S. and Kent P. Schwirian. (1996). The Effectiveness of Neighborhood Social Action. Social Problems. 43:401-417. (Senior Author).
5.a Reprinted in W. Allen Martin. 2002. The Urban Community: A reader. Prentice Hall.
4. Fishman, Gideon and Gustavo S. Mesch. (1996). Fear of Crime in
3. Mesch, Gustavo S. (1996). The Effect of Environmental Concerns and Government Incentives on Organized Local Action. Urban Affairs Review (formerly the Urban Affairs Quarterly). 31:346-367.
2. Mesch, Gustavo S. and Gideon Fishman. (1994) The First Readmission of the Mentally Ill: An Event History Analysis. Social Science Research. 23:295-314
Articles or Chapters in Scientific Books
17. Mesch, Gustavo, S. E-mail surveys: methods and advantages (2012). In Lior Gideon. Routledge Handbook of Research Methodology.Routledge Press. Pp. 313-327.
16. Mesch, Gustavo S. Media and Youth. Routledge Handbook on Children, Adolescents and Media. Ed. Dafna Lemish. (to be published in 2012). (approx. 22 pages)
15. Mesch, Gustavo & Ilan Talmud. In Massimo Ragnedda & Glenn W. Muschert.(Forthcoming). The Digital Divide: Social Inequality and the Internet in International Perspective.
Routledge Press. ( to be published in 2013). (approx.. 32 pages).
14. Mesch, Gustavo; Rita Mano & Judith Tsamir. Ethnicity and the Diversification of Access to Online Health Information and Communication in Israel. In Ellias, N. and Dan Caspi (eds.). Minority and Media in Israel. N.Y. Vallentine Press.
13. Mesch, Gustavo S. and Michal Frankel. (2011). Family and
technology, from balance to imbalance. In
Wright, K. and Webb, L. Computer-Mediated Communication in Close
12. Mesch, Gustavo S. and Shanyang
Zhao. 2010. Introduction to the 4th Special Issue of the Communication and Information Technology
Section Sessions of the American Sociological Association Annual meeting (
11. Mesch, Gustavo S. and Tamara Lederman-Maman (+). 2009. Intentional Online Pornographic Exposure among Adolescents: Is the Internet to blame? Verhaltenstherapie &Vehaltensmedizin, 2009-3. 352-368.
10. Mesch Gustavo. 2009. Internet Affordances and Teens' Social Communication:
Diversification To Bonding. In Robert Zheng,
Jason Burrow-Sanchez, and Clifford Drew (eds.). Adolescent Online Social
Communication and Behavior: Relationship Formation on the Internet, Philadelphia,
9. Fishman, Gideon and Gustavo Mesch. 2008. Research on Acculturation and Adjustment of Immigrants and Societal Response: Multicultural Perspectives International Journal of Comparative Sociology. 49:83-86.
8. Mesch, Gustavo and Ilan Talmud (2007). e-Relationships - the blurring and reconfiguration of offline and online social boundaries. Information,Communication and Society, 10, 5, 585-589.
7. Mesch, Gustavo. (2007) Social Diversification: A Perspective for the Study of
Social networks of Adolescents Offline and Online. Pp 105-
6. Mesch, Gustavo and Stephen Coleman. 2007. Youth and the Internet
5. Mesch, Gustavo and Ilan Talmud.
(2007). Privacy and Networking: Ethnic Differences in the Use of Cell Phones
and IM in
4. Mesch, Gustavo (2007). Residential
Concentration and Place attachment among Immigrants from the FSU in
3. Mesch, Gustavo (2006). Online Communities in R. Cnaan and C. Milofsky (eds.).
Handbook of Community and Community Organization.
2. Mesch, Gustavo. (2004). "The Apple does not fall far
from the tree": Parent and Children Support for Violent Political
Activities In Israel. In Hilke Rebenstorf
(ed.), “Democratic Development”.
1. Eisikovits, Zvi;
Gustavo S. Mesch and Gideon Fishman. 2000. Rechsextreme Einstellungen und
gewalttatiges Verhalten unter
Judendlichen in Israel. Pp. 289-
Entries in Encyclopedias
3. Mesch, Gustavo S. (2011). Pornography. in Encyclopedia of Adolescence. Elsevier
2. Mesch, Gustavo S. 2009. Crime. In Encyclopedia of Urban Studies. R. Hutchinson (ed.} Sage Publications.
1. Mesch, Gustavo S. 2009. Urban Ecology in Encyclopedia of Urban Studies. R. Hutchinson (ed). Sage Publications.